How to Buy Reishi Mushroom Extract
How to Buy Reishi Mushroom Extract
So you’ve read up on all the benefits of Reishi, and now you think you’d like to buy Reishi mushroom extract. Good choice, my friend. But, before you click “buy,” do you know what to look for? What are the signs of quality and potency? What are the signs you’re not getting your money’s worth? As with any purchase you make, it’s important to be informed when you buy Reishi mushroom.
Not to worry: We’ve got your back. You can, of course, buy Reishi mushroom extract from us. (Ours just so happens to be made with 100% fruiting bodies and is Certified Organic.) But we’re also here to help you make an informed decision, no matter what you choose to do.
Before You Buy: Reishi Mushroom 101Let’s go over the basics of Reishi.
- Reishi boasts a variety of benefits, including adaptogenic properties and support for overall wellness, healthy sleep and immune health.*
- Reishi has been used in herbalism for over 4,000 years in China and Japan.
- Reishi mushroom can be found in several colors, ranging from reddish-orange to black.
- Reishi needs to be extracted before you consume it.
- Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum) is known as the mushroom of immortality, Ling zhi (spirit plant) and 10,000-year mushroom.
- Reishi is considered to be an adaptogen, helping the body’s natural response to stress.*
- Reishi also promotes healthy sleep.* (It may also help promote stamina and healthy energy levels!*)
- Reishi supports the immune system and offers cardiovascular and antioxidant support.*
5 Questions to Ask Before You Buy Reishi Mushroom ExtractHere are five super important questions to ask before you buy Reishi mushroom extract:
1. What part of the mushroom is used?Only certain parts of mushrooms are traditionally used in herbalism. Fruiting bodies are the above-ground parts of a mushroom. Mycelium is a part of the mushroom you don’t often see (it’s under the ground). While it’s vital to the mushroom, mycelium is not traditionally used to support your health.* It’s cheaper and faster to grow mycelium on grain, so many products use it instead of fruiting bodies. Our products use only 100% Reishi fruiting bodies, never mycelium, so you never pay for grain or filler.
2. How do you make your Reishi mushroom extract?
The active parts of Reishi mushrooms are inside the cell walls, which our bodies can’t break down. They need to be extracted — and the best ones use two methods. Mushroom Revival Reishi mushroom extract undergoes a dual extraction of water, known as decoction, and alcohol, known as tincture. The active compounds in mushrooms are both alcohol-soluble (triterpenes) and water-soluble (beta-glucans). To get full-spectrum support from mushrooms, we extract our mushrooms with 190-proof alcohol and hot water, then carefully combine the two. We follow the science and extract our Reishi at specific, optimal alcohol percentages, temperatures and durations.
3. Are your extracts tested for purity and potency?
When you’re buying a Reishi mushroom extract, it’s important to look for proof that they are pure and potent.
Every batch of mushrooms we use goes through lab testing. We test for heavy metals and biological contamination, to ensure the purity of our products. We also check the concentration of active compounds such as beta-glucans and triterpenes. We want to see the science when it comes to the potency of our supplements, so we make sure to get exact numbers.
4. Is your Reishi extract made with organic mushrooms?
Mushrooms can be Certified Organic, but not all of them are. Our Reishi mushroom extract is Certified Organic by Baystate Organic Certifiers. Everything we use is organic, from our substrates to our cleaning supplies. Every product we sell and every ingredient we use is tracked by a batch number and can be traced back to its origin.
5. Is your Reishi extract bitter?
Reishi tends to be bitter due to its triterpene content. If your extract is high quality and made from fruiting bodies, you’ll taste the difference. Reishi fruiting bodies contain over 130 triterpenoid compounds (mostly ganoderic and lucideric acids). You might not want to buy Reishi mushroom extracts that aren’t bitter — that’s a sign they might be diluted or old.
Ready to buy Reishi mushroom extract? Check out our potent, Certified Organic and dual-extracted tincture!